Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Bargain Kids Shopping


My husband and dad always make fun of my mom and I because when we come home from shopping.  We never just show them what we got, it is always "This was only...." or "We saved......".  They could careless, the only reason they care less is because they have never seen a real full price clothing bill!  Kids clothes can be ridiculous, not to mention you usually get one year of wear from kids clothes.  Gymboree clothes can be $20 for one item!  (I won't hardly spend that on my self, ha) My kids also play hard outside and I have always been more practical then fashionable.    My kids are the same way, they don't want to be in uncomfortable clothes.  So leggings, cotton, Dryfit, etc rule my house.       

My rule is everything under $5, but my guideline is $2 and under for my younger two and $4 and under for my older son.  (This is brand new clothes) You would be shocked how well I stick to this.  What this requires though is buying ahead.  I just pulled out my bins for Spring and they were totally full.  Lots of Gymboree too, for under $3.  The kids have their entire wardrobe for summer ready to go!  

There will always be exceptions, winter coats, jeans, tennis shoes, etc. do cost a little more but that doesn't mean you can't get them cheap too!  I have found great bargains on tennis shoes at Kohls online and these are name brand like Fila, Nike, etc.  Children's Place and Old Navy usually have great deals on jeans a couple of times a year.  Old Navy always has a $1 flipflop sale once a year and I stock up on those. 

Tip #1 Never engage your children in shopping. :)  I know this won't last forever, but none of my kids have any expectation that they get to go pick out clothing which makes this 100 times easier!  Don't get me wrong my daughters would rather not wear jeans and they like pink etc. but they don't get to go and pick out clothes unless it is a special occasion or I am asking them if they like the $1 shirt. 

Tip #2 Team up with your friends.  One of my good friends has one daughter and then boys, so I get lots of nice clothes that I buy from her.  It is win win because she doesn't have to hastle selling or donating them and I get great clothes at a fraction of a price.  This is especially good for winter boots, jackets, snow pants, etc. that hardly get any wear anyway and are high price items.  Another friend has a great Facebook group that she posts clothes on to all her friends!

My biggest tip is don't be scared to take stuff up to the register and have them run them to see the true cost.  Old Navy, Gymboree and Children's Place are notorious for not remarking clearance items.  I went to Old Navy recently and was getting things for 40 cents, 99 cents, etc.  I never have a problem saying "Oh, never mind I don't want that" if it rings up and is still $4.   

P.S.  Everything in my pic was $1.99 or less per item, and just a small sample!!!!!!!

Top Shops
  • Gymboree
  • Old Navy
  • Target
  • Children's Place 

No comments:

Post a Comment