Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Baby/Toddler Magazines- Great Gift Idea

If you are looking for a gift that keeps on giving, magazines are a great idea.  Children love getting mail, so that is a second bonus!  My mom gets credit for this post, since she was the one who started getting my kids hooked.  This is now on my list for friends birthdays, but also a wonderful baby gift! All in all my kiddos have had about 9 magazine subscriptions so I thought I would break this down into two posts, the first being centered on Baby/Toddler Magazines. These range from $20-$40 for a year subscription, but sign up for their emails or check for specials and you can usually get them cheaper.  I have kept all of the ones we have gotten and my oldest son is 7.  They hold up and can then be used for subsequent children.  Here are my top 3 picks!

Highlights Hello     Age 0-2
You may have heard of Highlights.  They have been around for a long time, but now they make a magazine for babies.  This is my favorite as a newborn baby gift.  The magazine is made with safety in mind. No sharp corners, no staples and a material that holds up to mouths!  The size is great too, easy to throw in a diaper bag or purse as a quiet activity.  The magazine is focused on great visuals, short rhymes, and stories.  Because of the great pictures, it is fun to read to even an infant.  My youngest daughter has always loved doing the "Find It" section.  I think the age on this is accurate.  I wouldn't start a subscription for anyone older than 2.   



BabyBug        Age 6 months-3 years
BabyBug is produced by Cricket Media who puts out a ton of kids magazines.  I like this option because the stories are a bit longer, making the magazine as a whole longer than Highlights Hello.  Babybug has stories and rhymes, but also starts introducing the ideas of Letters.  (Pictured below)  There are no staples in this magazine either and the pages are very sturdy. Babybug can be fun for a early reader sibling to read to a toddler too.
 

Wild Animal Baby       Ages 2-4
Produced by the National Wildlife Federation, Wild Animal Baby is the first stage of the Ranger Rick magazine series.  As a nature lover this is a big favorite in my house.  One unique feature is it's wildlife photos, sure to be great fun for any child.  Through animals the magazine features learning about shapes, numbers, letters, rhymes, nature and there is always a short story.  This one comes in at only $19.99 for the year with 10 mailings, making it pretty affordable.


Reading, Learning, Spending time with your child all add up to a great gift in my book!  Let me know if you have any other baby/toddler magazines we should check out!   

No comments:

Post a Comment